Galatians 6:9 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
There are two ways to quit. A good way and a not so good way. Never quit God, serving Him, or living for Him. Early in my ministry, I was a colosal failure. Although I never had any desire to quit serving the Lord after that, backslide or leave my faith, I didn’t want to have anything to do with church leadership. I would have been ok taking out the trash, sweeping floors, but I didn’t want to touch a microphone, ever again. I was completely broken. The only thing I had left was Jesus, my wife and my kids.
Funny thing was, that’s exactly when God started using me. I received an unsigned note in my mailbox with a thousand dollars in it (we were more than broke!). I knew I was going to be ok, with just that note (From Chuck Smith, himself, best I can tell) saying;
Isaiah 42:3 A Bruised Reed Shall He Not Break, And The Smoking Flax Shall He Not Quench
Winners never quit, quitters never win!
Lord willing, I will never quit serving the Lord. Even if I am sick, in prison, confined in a nursing home or in a wheel chair, the ministry that the Lord called me to will forever have first priority. Maybe it will change in appearance but He will always be able to use me. My only fear is not serving God. God has my life. I just wish I had fully surrendered to Him at a younger age. No regrets though. God is using my mistakes to make me a better missionary, Christian, husband, pastor, co-worker and dad.
Romans 8:28. All things work together for the good of those who love the Lord.
Although we are told to never quit, on the contrary we are told to quit many things. Not as confusing as it sounds.
Saw a tee shirt that said, ‘drug rehab is for quitters’ haha!
Here are 5 things we as Christians should quit right now.
1. Quit looking back. If you look back, you will never go forward. We are called to renew our mind to become Christlike. We do that by moving forward, not living in the past. Quit reveling (sin) in the past. Quit feeling sorry for yourself (sin) because of your past.
Phil 3:13 forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
2. Quit sinning. In other words, repent. People don’t have to tell you they repented. It’s obvious. Repentance is the path to salvation. Sinning comes in more ways than we often think of. Judging others. Gossiping (often in the form of prayer requests). Misrepresenting God through anger and self-righteousness. Quareling on facebook. Gluttony. Jesus clearly tells us in His Word to quit it.
Luke 13:3 except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
3. Quit doubting. Doubting is the opposite of believing. Jesus tell us to repent and to believe. Once we repent of our sins (quit justifying them) we will quit doubting (believing). Believers go to heaven. Non believers don’t, First step in believing Jesus is seeing how pure He is, and how filthy we are. That is also the first step in repentance.
‘ Repentance is the first step in revival. Unless sin is bitter to you, Jesus can not be a sweet savor to you… Cathe Laurie’
Mark 1:15 The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.
4. Quit griping. Griping is called murmuring. God hates murmuring. It’s satanic.
1 Corinthians 10:10-25 Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer.
5. Quit worrying/panicking. That shows lack of faith, and you are basically calling God a liar.
Matthew 6:25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
There are so many things we teach our kids to quit at PureHeartChildren’sFund. Not just these 5. These kids come out of so much. We do teach them however to NEVER quit the race for the prize which leads us to heaven.
1 Cor 9:24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.
Love Dean and Winnie Peters